Body sculpturing, body contouring, body liposuction. If the removal of stubborn fat deposits is what you are after then liposuction may be the answer.
Liposuction is a surgical procedure designed to remove excess fat from areas of the body such as the thighs, abdomen and buttocks.
Liposuction in Geelong, Ballarat, Horsham and Warrnambool is a procedure performed by Mr Ian Holten, a specialist plastic surgeon.
Why liposuction? Can I have liposuction?
The ideal liposuction candidate is at, or near their ideal weight, with good skin elasticity and is seeking reduction of diet- and exercise-resistant localised pockets of fat.
Common sites include the upper arms, hips, outer thighs, abdomen, mid back, buttocks, knees, neck and chin.
Some men have excess fatty tissue in and around the breast, (gynaecomastia), that can be removed via liposuction.
At Australian Skin Face Body clinic we remind our patients that liposuction is not a weight loss solution. If you have excess loose skin, liposuction can actually make it worse. If this is the case, a surgical body lift procedure may be required instead.
We will advise you of the best options at consultation.
It should also be noted that liposuction does not improve cellulite or stretch marks.
How is liposuction performed?
- If only a small amount of fat and a limited number of body sites are involved, liposuction can be performed under local anaesthetic, usually in conjunction with intravenous sedation.
- If a large volume of fat is being removed, some patients prefer general anaesthetic.
- In addition to fat, body fluid is also removed during the procedure. Because of this, patients are given fluids intravenously during the operation.
- Depending on the size and number of the areas being treated the procedure can last from around one to five hours.
- You can expect to be swollen and bruised and most patients report feeling sore for a few days.
- It is also common to experience some numbness in the treated areas, although this should go away in the first few weeks.
- You are required to wear a compression garment for up to six weeks.
- You can return to work in one to two weeks and more strenuous activity in two to four weeks.
- Full recovery from swelling and bruising may take one to five months or more.
Improvements will be evident as soon as swelling subsides, but it can take from six to twelve months for the liposuction to achieve the final effect.